This project started when I was chatting with a friend the other day and she was complaining about not knowing what to give her Mother for Mother’s Day. I suggested she consider giving her Mother something ‘hand made’. I mentioned all the wonderful sites on Etsy.com.
She said that it sounded too difficult and she was a renowned shopper and loved visiting shopping centres and had always given manufactured items. Our conversation therefore moved on to the benefits of giving ‘hand made’ over ‘shop bought’
This gave me the idea to ask you, my fellow bloggers, to help me compile a list of compelling reasons for giving ‘hand made’. Let’s see if we can reach 50 reasons!
I’ll start off the first 5 reasons, some of these are reasons I have sourced from fellow artists:
- Giving handmade is the essence of gift-giving: When you give a friend or loved one a gift, you are really saying “I care about you.” A handmade gift conveys so much more than something pulled off the end-cap display of a mega store. Of course there are the obvious economic benefits of supporting independent makers and artists, but buying and giving handmade is, at heart, a loving act.
- Creativity of Artists: It is fun to see the creativity and excellence of the talented artists and designers out there. it reminds us of the days of old when craftsmanship, creativity and quality were paramount – You are buying items that are not mass-produced and impersonal but are indeed,very personal not only to the buyer, but to the maker.
- Support talented people: The biggest reason I buy handmade is to support the many talented people out there who are trying to get started with their business. I find the care and love taken in making everything I buy comes through when I get it. I feel a sense of extra worth and pleasure with each purchase knowing I have helped someone get one step closer to their dream. Supporting each other is after all the most rewarding gift we can give each other!
- Price vs. value: If you buy your best friend a handmade article instead of a mass produced one and spend twice the money, it’ll be worth every penny. Treasures are handmade with love and thought, not mass produced.
- Share the Artists joy of creation : I give handmade gifts because the artist/crafter who made the item probably really enjoys what they do. I know they put their imagination, best craftsmanship, and love into making that gift unique. It has heart and that’s what I want to share with the special people in my life.”
As an Artist myself, I always attempt to give hand-made items to my Family and Friends. I have also, for the past 15 years, made a point of giving hand-made Birthday Cards and Bookmarks; it is lovely to know that these cards and gifts have been saved by my friends over the years instead of being discarded.
So, I hope you can help this cause. I also will continue to add to the list as I obtain more submissions from family and friends.
You can either make a comment via the blog or send me an email.
I will acknowledge everyone who supplies me with a Reason to add to the List.
I look forward to receiving your personal reasons for ‘Buying/Giving Hand Made’…
5 reasons down, only 45 to go!